follow me on redux

9.11.06

Farewell Republicans and more interesting news from their neighbours in Canada

Just call it a failed mission POTUS

So it looks like the Autocracy Bush is trying to establish is doomed.

Yeah well thank goodness the American voters showed their disgust at the way their country was being abused by this bloke Bush personally I loathe him and yes I know it shows.

Me I still think he should be impeached but it will be enough to see him go in 2008.

Rumsfeld has gone who cares millions don’t and the new Speaker of the House who it now seems will be Nancy Pelosi.

I did read she was a tough lady good I like that.

Looking into the history of speakers in the USA I do think if Bush and Cheney were assassinated she would take the helm yes I just read that on Wiki.

Not that I want that to happen heaven forbid.

I don’t like what Bush said on this site

President Bush said he was disappointed with the election results, saying as the nation's leading Republican he bears part of the blame.

He got that wrong from what I have read I always thought the Buck stopped with him bad earwigging advisors or not.

He takes the fall.

Now to an e-mail I received from a Canadian friend whom I must say I agree with in some respects but not all.

It regards dual nationality he agrees with this I don’t and nor it seems does the Canadian Minister for Immigration.

Reproduced below is the letter.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with this decision as well; I hold it myself but never bothered to renew my old UK Passport; I am now an Australian citizen, I have been one for years, I care not one iota about UK affairs unless it concerns me as an Australian citizen.

Personally speaking we should stop it here as well.

I apologise for the strike out in the font it was not like that in the e-mail.

Ottawa (CP) - 1:country-region w:st="on">Canada must be more than "just a port in the storm" for dual citizens living abroad, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Monte SolbergSn> said Tuesday.

The Conservative government is taking a long look at the issue of dual citizenship in the wake of this summer's evacuation of some 15,000 people from Lebanon during the Israeli bombardment, at a cost to taxpayers of at least $63 million.

It's estimated about 7,000 of those evacuated Canadians have returned to Lebanon.

Solberg, speaking to the Commons committee on citizenship and immigration, questioned the provision of social services to dual citizens who live abroad for extended periods.

"If we're in a situation where somebody's absent, isn't paying taxes but is going to be using our social programs down the road, I think Canadians would feel that is unfair," said the minister.

Canada permitted its citizens to hold more than one passport in 1977 and the law has remained essentially unchanged since then. Currently there are more than four million Canadians who have citizenship in at least one other country, according to Statistics Canada, but only 500,000 live in Canada.

Statistics Canada has also found that the number of Canadian citizens who hold passports from two other countries tripled between 1991 and 2001.

The Lebanese evacuation highlighted the fact that up to 50,000 Canadian citizens were in Lebanon in July when hostilities between Hezbollah and Israel erupted.

That staggering figure - the largest of any country in the world - coupled with the significant number of evacuees who quickly returned to Lebanon, has caused many Canadians reassess the obligations that should come with citizenship.

No comments:

Post a Comment